Rocket U2 | UniVerse & UniData

View Only
  • 1.  U2CL 5.2.0 Trial connector

Posted 08-10-2022 01:20
    Hi All ,

I've downloaded the trial version of the connector. I want to connect to our universe 11.2.5 with that one.

We have installed the U2ODBC 32bit & 64 bit. Did a test connection in Tableau it passed but when we click on OK, it gives an error. The error code is A73B8869.

The error is saying something about missing driver.

Please assist.

Thanks. 

------------------------------
    Roland Kayver
    Core Banking Support
    Teachers Savings and Loan Society Limited

• 2.  RE: U2CL 5.2.0 Trial connector

Posted 08-10-2022 18:12
    Roland,

Try the U2 ODBC Tester tool shipped with the ODBC clients and test against HS.SALES initially, Please note that the ODBC DSN and driver used must match the bit-wise version of the client - whether 32-bit or 64-bit. It is not possible for a  32-bit client to consume a 64-bit data source for instance - and vice-versa.

Now try the same DSN with Excel - getting data from the same ODBC data source. If the tester tool and Excel  work then that rules out firewalls (port 31438) , though not all possible security software lockdowns.

The next step is with Tableau - using HS.SALES. If that world then the issue is probably in the way that the live account being used for Tableau is set up. (assuming that HS.ADMIN and dynamic normalisation is being used and the UniVerse files have not been converted to SQL Tables (which would be unusual but not unheard of).

Check the live account is configured in HS.ADMIN using the HS.ADMIN menu and update the cache from the same menu..

If you get to a point where all stops, turn on ODBC logging both server side and client side (in the DSN) - details on enabling ODBC server-side tracing tracing can be found in the documentation set and and also in the Rocket Community 'Knowledge' database. Sometimes the reason leaps out - sometimes not.

Let us know what you find and which steps worked - and which not.

Regards

JJ

John Jenkins
    Thame, Oxfordshire

• 3.  RE: U2CL 5.2.0 Trial connector

Posted 08-13-2022 22:58
    Hi John,

Few questions below.

1. Where do I get the " U2 ODBC Tester tool" is it bought ? How do I get it ?

2. HS.SALES-what is this? Is this a database? Table? Where is it located ?

3."Check the live account is configured in HS.ADMIN using the HS.ADMIN menu" where can I check this ?

Please advise? 

Roland

Roland Kayver
    Core Banking Support
    Teachers Savings and Loan Society Limited

• 4.  RE: U2CL 5.2.0 Trial connector

Posted 08-14-2022 08:34
    Edited by John Jenkins 08-14-2022 20:17
    Roland,

The U2 ODBC tester tool is part of the U2 clients windows package from which the ODBC drivers are obtained. If you need a fresh copy just go to https://rbc.rocketsoftware.com and look under Resources -> Product Availability-> U2 Clients/Windows (choose) - the download links are on the right and you would want the latest version.

HS.ADMIN is both a UniVerse account from which it is possible to permit ODBC access to designated accounts and files and also a  command in that account to access the appropriate menu of options.  HS.SALES is a standard UniVerse account with sample files which is set up for ODBC by default and can be used for test purposes. This should allow validation of ODBC functionality and also checking files and data dictionaries in individual accounts. JDBC uses the same server functionality so is equivalent and the ODBC tester can be used to verify both firewall settings and account/file schemas for both tools.

If you are using a different sort of connector - e.g. RESTful Web Services or  the U2 Toolkit for .NET Data Provider just let us know. Similarly, while UniData is functionally equivalent the server configuration steps are quite different and are covered in the Administration PDF documentation.

NOTE: In order to access files using SQL then the file data dictionaries are mandatory and they need to be correct in the way they describe each field for both data type and format. For performance reasons, ensuring all multivalue fields have appropriate Associations configured is also strongly recommended.  If unfamiliar with these features I strongly recommend a review of the PDF guides  for SQL and Administration as a degree of familiarity is required - these are available online here https://docs.rocketsoftware.com/.

An absolute pre-requisite for any form of SQL-based access is absolutely correct data dictionaries. In past engagements setting up systems the time has varied from a few hours where I have also trained local staff to a week. In the latter case the accuracy of the data dictionaries was questionable due to mostly missing or incorrect entries. In a worst case I had to work out what the data actually  was from first principles by examining application output and comparing against files as there was no documentation or file layout information,

Regards

JJ

John Jenkins
    Thame, Oxfordshire

• 5.  RE: U2CL 5.2.0 Trial connector

Posted 08-10-2022 18:16
    Roland,

Unsure if relevant - please see https://kb.tableau.com/articles/issue/error-code-4d78f526-connecting-to-postgres-from-a-mac

Noting that you will also have the JDBC driver in the same U2 Clients software package and this can be much faster than  ODBC if the client system is Windows.

Regards

JJ

John Jenkins
    Thame, Oxfordshire